Quickhits for Jan. 15, 2015

Vive la liberte!

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Mere days after millions filled the streets in France to march in support of free speech and against all those who would threaten it, the French government has arrested a comedian for posting on social media a joke that was, admittedly in poor taste, about the previous week’s attacks. Et toi, la France? 

Ain't playin' SCHOOL

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Ohio State’s Cardale Jones used to be a third-string quarterback known mainly for tweeting the following:  “Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS.” Monday night, Jones won a championship as a starter. He was probably right.

Fall from Grace

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Nancy Grace laid into Two Chainz for his views on marijuana and its legalization yesterday on CNN, which was gratifying to watch if only to hear the words “Tity Boi” come out of Nancy Grace’s mouth. She went on to kill the mood, though, by trying to hold Two Chainz accountable for all crime and sadness ever.  

Slow clap

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

The best part about Wednesday’s game was the discovery of a type of failure distinct to N.C. State. Down by two, Trevor Lacey just had to miss a free throw to give his team a chance to get the offensive rebound and score. Instead, Lacey accidentally made the shot, falling backward in disbelief as his shot fell in.

Seedy mockery

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Look, we understand a parent’s natural inclination to defend his son, but the website UNC wrestling coach C.D. Mock has put together is something else entirely. He manages to cast doubt upon all survivors of sexual assault while describing the particulars of his son’s sex life in inexplicably graphic detail. Not a good look. 

Wrap it up

Okay, so it’s hard to complain about winning, but Bojangles’ Biscuits might have actually been better for our collective cardiac health than yesterday’s win against N.C. State. It was too wild a ride for us mild-mannered newspaper folk, who struggled to simultaneously make deadline and watch the game.