Orgasm? Yes Please! replaced by another sexual health event

Despite the lack of funding for "Orgasm? Yes, Please!," an event that teaches participants about healthy sex, Project Dinah is still trying to raise awareness about sexual wellness in creative ways. 

Thursday at 7 p.m., Project Dinah, an organization that works to end sexual assault and interpersonal violence at UNC and in the community, is hosting "Sexual Health: College Edition," an event to raise awareness about sexual health. 

The group is working with Campus Wellness to host the event. 

The reason for switching to this new sexual health event is due to restrictions by the Board of Governors.

“It became clear early in the year that Campus Wellness would not be able to hold another 'Orgasm? Yes, Please!' event due to scrutiny from the Board of Governors," said Madelyn Frumkin, co-chairwoman of Project Dinah. "We want this event to be a way we can continue to partner with Wellness and help them reach students, while staying in the lines set by the BOG." 

Frumkin said not much funding was needed for this event. 

“The event didn’t require a budget beyond money for pizzas, but Student Wellness was able to provide this," she said. 

Alban Foulser, former co-chairwoman of Project Dinah, said the upcoming event will be using a classic board game, Taboo — which requires players to guess a phrase on a card without using certain words — to teach participants about sexual health. 

While the game is meant to be fun, some of the topics will be much more serious, said Frumkin. 

“It will be very fun and interactive, while also covering important topics such as contraceptive use and consent,” she said.

Freshman Brandon Yelverton is a member of Project Dinah and plans on attending the event. He said the event is important because of the sexual education it provides. 

“I think the event is necessary to dispel myths and misconceptions about what is traditionally taught in public school," he said. 

Yelverton said if students want to have sex, it is important that they be informed.

“If people want to engage in sexual activity, it's best they have accurate information and without uncertainties,” he said.

Frumkin said she is excited about the event’s projected turnout, but she does not believe it will be as successful as "Orgasm? Yes, Please!".

“Over 100 people are attending on the Facebook event. We don’t anticipate the event will be as large as 'Orgasm? Yes, Please!' has been in the past, but we hope it’s a good starting point for a new event," she said.