Job fair in Smith Center to draw 1,200

The Spring Job & Internship Expo will now take place Thursday afternoon at the Smith Center. Ninety employers will come to UNC at an event organizers are hoping will draw 1,200 students.

“It’s a great opportunity for all students, even first- or second-year students, who are trying to figure out what they are majoring in and what they are going to do,” said Jeff Sackaroff, the associate director of University Career Services.

The job fair is open to all majors. It is especially helpful for the students who are looking for a summer job or job after graduation, Sackaroff said.

Information about the job fair is on an app, Guidebook, for the first time.

“It gives them an opportunity to read about the employers before they approach them,” Sackaroff said. The app also incorporates a map of where certain employers are.

A common story Sackaroff hears from students is that the job fair opens their eyes after they talk to multiple employers.

“They became excited about the job that they never thought about,” Sackaroff said.

Employers are usually impressed by the quality of UNC students’ communication skills, knowledge, resumes and more, Sackaroff said.

The AroundCampus Group, a marketing company, has participated in the spring career fair for 15 years.

“We found it a very good resource,” said Sean Guy, a national sales manager for the company.

The company especially values students’ competiveness and strong work ethics.

“Chapel Hill is a difficult school to get in,” Guy said.

The company also looks for students enrolled in competitive programs, such as the Kenan-Flagler Business School.

The company is sending five representatives to the job fair to hire for positions in production, customer relations and sales.

Sackaroff recommends students do research about the employers and make a list of their top five. At the job fair, they should try to practice introducing themselves before reaching their top five employers.

“When you go, first go to other employers for practice, so you are a little bit warmed up, and then you know what to say,” Sackaroff said.

Guy said a bright color in a student’s outfit might make him or her stand out.

“For me, it’s someone wearing something bright... a red tie, a red skirt or something like that,” Guy said.

Lili Chen, a sophomore at UNC, has been to two or three career fairs.

“I really like the setting that you’re able talk to professionals or a recruiter from a specific company,” Chen said.