Letter: ?Use market to help low-wage workers

The Feb. 24 editorial pointed to Wal-Mart’s recent move to raise the wages of its employees to levels as high as $10 for part-time workers and $13 for full-time workers by 2016 as the result of a two-year Wal-Mart worker grassroots movement. Essentially, the bottom-up approach has potential.

I do not disagree; I acknowledge that it does not take a majority to prevail. All it takes is a tireless minority set on change. However, many times the “Wal-Mart workers, fast food workers and others who continue struggling” are not tireless. They are tired. They work laborious, low-wage jobs that usually do not permit them to organize and speak with a collective voice capable of demanding change.

The editorial writes that we should support those workers, but an idea without execution is just an idea. While it may be comforting to cashiers that many citizens are concerned about their ability to live on Wal-Mart wages, it does not comfort the cashier where it really matters: the wallet. 

Instead, vote with your dollar, circulate news articles critical of subpar employer practices and always strive to have your opinion heard. Perpetual negative public perception and press, such as stories of food drives for employees or ranking as the worst paying employer, will force employers like Wal-Mart to reevaluate their wage policies and pay their workers living wages.

It does not take a majority to prevail, but it is much easier with one.

Henrik Lindvall

Freshman

Business administration