Letter: We’ve earned the right to move forward

Our University has had a long three years since the discovery of aberrant classes, which have been the subject of multiple investigations. At some point in time, we, as an institution, need to confine our focus to what is happening on our campus now and going forward. A statement expressing the view that the time is now has been set up on a WordPress site (moveuncforward.wordpress.com).

This statement serves several purposes. It acknowledges the primacy of faculty and faculty administrators in upholding the academic integrity of our institution. It supports the transparent and detailed approach of our leaders and the hard work of faculty committees in dealing with the issues revealed in all investigations. Lastly, it expresses concerns about those on our campus who continue to rehash events of the past, thereby prolonging the pain for the entire UNC community.

Moving forward does not mean that our work is finished. With a stark reminder of what can happen if we are not vigilant, all members of our community need to affirm our role and duty in upholding the academic integrity of our University. Likewise, given the media attention it draws, vigilance in running our athletics program with the highest integrity is an absolute imperative.

Moving forward does not say that the current NCAA system for college athletics is flawless. No single university can implement changes to the current system. 

The multi-university collective action required for systemic change will likely proceed at an evolutionary pace rather than a revolutionary pace.

The WordPress site has a mechanism for faculty and faculty emeriti to add their names as co-signers. Over 100 faculty have signed the statement to date.

I encourage you to go to the website, read the letter and add your name if you agree with the sentiments expressed.

Prof. Cindy Schauer

Chemistry