Opinion: Graduation shouldn’t add to financial burdens

As a university that boasts about being one of the nation’s most economically diverse colleges, UNC could be doing more to address the cost of graduation regalia, which can be prohibitive for students from lower-income backgrounds.

The University should be responsible for ensuring no student has to worry about standing out from the crowd for reasons of undue cost on their proudest day.

This might include purchasing the regalia from private companies in bulk and itemizing the individual’s cost along with other tuition costs.

This would allow for economically disadvantaged students to use financial aid money to cover the cost. UNC should also be wary of the further price discrimination within the differing cap and gown packages and should request a single-offering package for all seniors from graduation and regalia companies.

The cost of a deluxe package with a stole is currently $89.99 compared to a more generic-looking regalia package of $59.99.

Seniors who, prudently, refuse to pay $30 of an added cost for a stole will feel a natural and intended feeling of lesser prestige due to the ritualistic occasion.

All students who receive a diploma earn a public ceremony hosted by their home school. But costly regalia packages are subtly disruptive to such a deserved honor.

It should not be the norm that every graduating senior must pay a $60 to $90 hidden cost to celebrate their achievements.

It is the duty of the University to celebrate its students’ achievements by protecting them from this unwarranted pressure to spend.