Pitching struggles hurt UNC in series against Virginia Tech

Two of UNC’s weekend starters combined to give up 12 runs.

Coming into the team’s series against Virginia Tech (19-21, 8-12 ACC), the Tar Heels’ (24-15, 10-10 ACC) normal weekend starters — Zac Gallen, J.B. Bukauskas and Benton Moss — had combined for an overall record of 9-3 and an ERA of 2.95.

But after a powerful Hokie lineup hit both Gallen and Bukauskas, UNC found itself in an unfamiliar position and had to rely on unconventional methods to salvage splitting the series with Virginia Tech, 3-8 and 11-10. The third game of the series was canceled due to rain.

Friday’s action began with promise for the Tar Heels, who jumped out to a 2-1 lead after four innings behind RBI hits from Tyler Ramirez and Logan Warmoth. But in the sixth inning, Gallen gave up four straight hits, including a pair of home runs to give the Hokies a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

“Zac (Gallen) wasn’t as sharp as he has been this season, but it happens,” Coach Mike Fox said. “You have to give Virginia Tech credit; they play well at home, and they were able to give us some trouble.”

That trouble continued into the second game of the series for the Tar Heels. After UNC built a 4-0 lead in the top of the first, Bukauskas allowed a two-RBI single and a two-run shot over the wall in right to tie the game. Bukauskas was eventually chased from the game in the third inning after giving up four more runs.

Down 8-6 after three innings and in danger of losing the series, the Tar Heels had to look for whatever they could in the batter’s box to produce some offense. And to UNC’s advantage, the Virginia Tech pitching staff was having its share of troubles as well, leaving an opportunity for several Tar Heels, namely junior Elijah Sutherland, to make their presence felt.

“I’m always up there trying to do whatever I can to help the team, whether that’s by taking a pitch off the elbow or getting the hit,” he said.

And that’s exactly what the Kingsport, Tenn., native did Saturday. Sutherland ended the game with three RBI, one from a sacrifice fly and the others from being hit by two separate pitches, the last of which gave UNC a 10-8 lead in the top of the fifth.

On the mound, North Carolina turned to reliever Trent Thornton to keep Virginia Tech from reclaiming the lead. Thornton would allow at least one Hokie to reach in each of his four-plus innings of work, but he only allowed one run to cross the plate. And in the ninth, after giving up a two-out single to Ryan Tufts, Thornton forced the next batter into a fielder’s choice, ending the game and giving the Tar Heels an 11-10 win.

“I’ve had some ups and downs this year, but now my body’s in great condition and my arm’s feeling great,” Thornton said. “We as a bullpen have just been trying to control what we can control, and we take pride in that.”