Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Letter: Hatchell deserves to be supported by UNC

I read with interest and concern the various reports of investigations at UNC and the subsequent findings and results. There is no place in the Notice of Allegations that Coach Sylvia Hatchell or her staff are mentioned except to state that they were interviewed, the same as Coach Roy Williams.

If UNC courses or programs of studies are of concern, then perhaps the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and Academic Affairs of UNC are where this is best addressed. What measures are in place at UNC to monitor the academic integrity of the online courses?

I find it difficult, if not impossible, to believe that Hatchell would willingly grant Allisha Gray and Stephanie Mavunga, the heart of her team, releases. My past coaching experience, serving as director of women’s sports and working closely with athletes and their families taught me very early on that granting releases to student athletes in a situation such as this has a viral effect.

Granting one release based on allegations, substantiated or not, initiates panic that spreads and can decimate the program. How did an investigation that centered upon the men’s basketball and football programs land on the doorstep of women’s basketball? Why has a contract extension been awarded to the men’s coach but not to the Hall of Fame women’s basketball coach?

Hatchell took her team to the Sweet 16 this past year, which parallels what Roy Williams accomplished with the men’s program. The lack of a contract extension to Hatchell is reminiscent of athletic department actions before the passage and enactment of Title IX.

UNC might want to rethink these questionable courses of action. Coach Sylvia Hatchell has always been a phenomenal role model, supporter and mentor of many great women through the sport of women’s basketball.

She always holds UNC in the highest regard and has nothing but praise for administrators, faculty, fans and students. She gives tirelessly of her time, attention and efforts to assist student athletes in achieving success, both on and off the court. There are few coaches who care for their athletes or who have achieved the numerous accolades that she has.

I was privileged to assist Hatchell at various times as she battled leukemia last year. Though she experienced a lot of pain and discomfort, she never complained, and her only concern was for her student athletes and coaching staff. That is consistent with the woman whom I have known for over 40 years. I would consider myself and my daughters honored to have Hatchell as a mentor and coach.

I encourage all of the UNC administrators and governing bodies to support Coach Sylvia Hatchell by extending her a lucrative contract immediately. Recruiting is the cornerstone for establishing a competitive team.

Without a contract extension, you are inhibiting an award winning coach, and moreover, you are demanding that a coach put together a successful team under negative circumstances you have created.

UNC cannot replace the experience, expertise, loyalty and integrity that Sylvia Hatchell brings as a true ambassador to this institution of higher education.

Jacqueline Koss

Manchester, Tenn.