Incoming students leave orientation with questions about sexual assault

Parker Martin, an orientation leader, leads a discussion after a presentation on Monday.

But new students who attend first-year orientation may not be noticing the University’s efforts.

“Sexual harassment might have been mentioned briefly in the campus safety session,” incoming freshman Catie Atkinson said in a text message. “But if it was, it was just a side comment.”

Hilary Delbridge, public communication specialist for the Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office, said in an email that during orientation, students specifically learn about the University’s definition of consent and options for reporting abuse.

“This information is also included in all new student and parent handbooks,” Delbridge said in the email.

Delbridge added that new student and parent handbooks include details about sexual violence prevention programs. UNC offers programs like One Act, a prevention program, and has confidential resources for students seeking support after unwanted sexual experiences.

For some students, that might not be enough. Incoming freshman Bella Reiss said she’s more likely to tell someone she trusts rather than a University official.

“I mean, I feel like I have numbers to call,” Reiss said. “But at this point, calling my mom still seems like the best option.”

In April, the University launched a sexual assault prevention task force in hopes of developing a five-year plan to reduce sexual violence on campus by encouraging bystanders to report incidents and increasing access to prevention initiatives.

Sexual assault modules were introduced to students and faculty in January 2015, though they were met with mixed reviews from some students who said it lacked depth.

These and several other efforts reflect the University’s new sexual assault policy, which was enacted in August 2014.

But the policy seemed to have a minor role at new student orientations.

“They really didn’t do much at all,” incoming freshman Katherine Poulos said.

Poulos, who attended orientation on July 6, said that two programs — the Student Wellness and Dean of Students presentations and the Interactive Theater Carolina skits — mentioned sexual assault. However, she felt the messages were a bit unclear.

“I guess the Carolina Community presentation did mention it, but I think they might have been trying not to make people uncomfortable,” Poulos said.

“I can remember (the presenter) saying, ‘I’ll use an example that’s a little bit easier to understand: If I were to want to borrow your car without your permission, what would you do?’” she said.

“I just thought it would have been fine for her to say a real example. We’re all rising college students, after all.”

Reiss attended orientation on the weekend of June 22 and said that, at least during her session, people were not paying attention during the presentations.

“It wasn’t that they didn’t agree with it but that they had heard it before,” Reiss said. “So they were disengaged and weren’t able to appreciate it.”

Orientation leader Micah Stubbs said students are generally engaged during their small group discussions, which occur after the Interactive Theater skits.

“The students are very enthusiastic about sharing their past experiences,” Stubbs said.

“And the aspect of the play that students choose to focus on changes from group to group.”

Reiss said that the skits seemed like a bit of a stretch.

“They weren’t very realistic,” Reiss said.

“It basically combined all of the microaggressions you could commit into one scene, so people weren’t able to take it that seriously.”