Kaze, JSWISS, (J) Rowdy and Well$ might not be “straight outta Compton,” but they are representing Chapel Hill and bringing back a hip-hop scene that’s often overshadowed.

“If you just generalize and say, ‘Okay, if I walk into any random bar, what am I going to find in Chapel Hill?’ It’ll probably be that indie rock because that’s just the type of town Chapel Hill is, but there’s still plenty of hip-hop going on,” said Julian Caldwell, also known as JSWISS, a UNC Class of 2013 graduate.

He and fellow rappers KAZE, SkyBlew and the Digidestined, Fluent, Well$, (J)Rowdy and the NightShift will be representing that hip-hop in HillMatic tomorrow night at Local 506.

It’s an attempt to promote their music in the town that’s helped them pursue it.

Joshua Rowsey, aka (J) Rowdy, KAZE, aka Kevin Thomas and Caldwell all graduated from UNC. It was during their time as students that they gained confidence and a community.

“When I arrived at Carolina, it was like, ‘If you don’t see the thing that interests you, create it,’” Thomas said. “I went on a mission from that because I knew I wanted to be a part of that culture as an artist, as a pioneer, as somebody who was instrumental in what North Carolina had to say.”

Thomas is the founder of Microphone Mondays at Local 506, an open-mic session for the hip-hop community that J. Cole frequently drove from Fayetteville to attend, back when he was still The Therapist.

“Fluent just put out an album, he’s a Chapel Hill guy — it has French Montana on there, it has Action Bronson on there. Well$ is on tour, he just got written up by Billboard, he was nominated by XXL to be a top 10 freshman. I’ve been signed by Universal and Rawkus (Records),” Thomas said.

“We’re Chapel Hill citizens. We’re people that either went to Carolina or lived in this town, and instead of moving to New York or Atlanta, we’re putting our flag here.”

They’re part of a larger hip-hop movement in North Carolina, which has produced rappers like King Mez, who recently worked with Dr. Dre.

While Chapel Hill and Carrboro can thank venues like Cat’s Cradle for creating a space for artists, allowing local favorites to open for big-name acts, the community is fostered by something organic — collaboration.

“One of my favorite groups is (singer-songwriter) Matt Phillips,” Rowsey said.

“All the musicians around the area are my friends — I think there’s more of a building community here more than anything.”

With HillMatic, they want to invite new students into that community too.

“We wanted to do this early because freshmen come here from your New Yorks, Atlantas, D.C.s, L.A.s, where this energy is present, and they come here and say, ‘Where is it here?’” Thomas said.

“We’re starting out the very first, second week of school, saying, ‘Hey, this is where that energy is in this town. If you’re looking for it, here it is.’”

@sarahvassello