Letter: ​UNControllables not like all anarchists

Since UNC’s anarchist group, the UNControllables, seems to be getting a lot of attention around campus lately, I feel obligated to let students know that the group has a very particular brand of politics that many of us anarchists would not want to be associated with.

Anarchism, if actualized, would require a pretty radical restructuring of our society. But many of the demands UNControllables makes, such as no more racism or homophobia, are really pretty common in our society nowadays, especially in really powerful places like the United Nations, college campuses and transnational businesses like Google. 

The only thing the UNControllables adds is a little more violent rhetoric. The current “leader,” for example, shared patches saying “Kill your local rapist,” and then expressed support for them. And everyone has seen the group’s “F*ck the Pigs” banner.See email JS

Students should know that opposing the police or our current society doesn’t have to be accompanied by shocking rhetoric. Anarchists really do have something important to say, and I’m afraid that the UNControllables sometimes doesn’t convey that very well.

Michael Serene

CarrboroEmail JS