Letter: ​Student Congress needs more members

Students who are eager to serve as a voice of the student body and engage on issues affecting our campus should consider running for a seat in Student Congress. 

As the legislative body of our student government, Congress is well positioned to help students address a variety of issues; this year we are focusing on health, academics, campus development and campus climate in addition to our constitutionally assigned priorities.

There are currently 19 open seats in Student Congress due to a number of students going abroad, switching residence halls and being appointed to Student Body President Houston Summers’ cabinet. 

These fall semester vacancies are filled through a special election, and this is a prime opportunity for students who are interested in student government to get their foot in the door. First-years, as well as graduate and professional students, are especially encouraged to consider running, as these groups are both underrepresented in the current Congress.

Interested candidates must attend one of the three mandatory meetings being held on Monday, Oct. 12 (one at 11:30 a.m. and one at 5 p.m.) and on Tuesday, Oct. 13 (at 11:30 a.m.). All three meetings will take place in the Union, Room 2423.

The meeting is being hosted by the student government Board of Elections.

Representatives from Congress will be in attendance to answer questions and discuss the responsibilities of an elected official of student government. 

The entire Congress is excited for the election on Oct. 30 and to meet our incoming colleagues.

David Joyner

Speaker 

Student Congres