Quick hits for Oct. 8, 2015

Not on my time   

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Monday is University Day, and the University is pushing to make all students attend the events planned. What the hell, UNC? You give us time off but still expect us to do things? I refuse. I will sit in my room, avoid responsibilities and watch the next season of “How to Get Away with Murder.”

Oh, Buddy 

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

“Sh*t.” It was a word living legend Buddy Guy repeated a lot during his performance at Memorial Hall in reaction to his own brilliance. It was also probably the word that came to mind for the audience after his mind-blowing runs. Guy made fun of the audience for not knowing his material. We will correct the mistake. 

Follett v. DTW  

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Student Stores may be privatized and The Daily Tar Worker will not stand idle as capitalism is extended into another realm of our beloved town. The Worker challenges Follett to a freestyle rap battle behind the Daily Grind counter (after hours, of course). Winner gets full rights to the store.

As long as you try  

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

UNC scientist Aziz Sancar won a Nobel Prize in chemistry yesterday. They just don’t hand those awards out, you know. It is nice seeing successful people being rewarded as I sit alone in my room avoiding my textbook. Some of us Tar Heels win Nobel Prizes, some of us get Cs on our econ exams — both good.  

R.I.P. sweaters  

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Why should we still be sweating a week into October? We should be able to wear sweaters without transforming into a puddle. Do you know who we blame? Al Gore. If he had not talked about global warming, obviously it would not be happening. Thanks, Mr. Gore. Thanks for ruining fall.  

New national debt   

While the new musical “Hamilton” is going to be great and in most instances would merit a positive thumb, the fact that tickets bring a whole new meaning to the word expensive is disheartening. We want to see it, but we do not want to ask the Federal Reserve for a loan just to see the show.