Letter: ​Information on Take Back the Night event

This Thursday, Nov. 19, a Take Back the Night rally and march will be taking place in Chapel Hill. Along with our sponsors UNC-Chapel Hill Siren, Cadence and Project Dinah, we will be marching through the UNC-CH campus and broader community. Take Back the Night’s main purpose is to create solidarity among women, non-cis and non-binary people (i.e., those who do not experience male privilege) who are disproportionately hurt by men’s sexual violence. Most men are not violent, but 98 percent of rapes and 75 percent of violent crimes are committed by men. This is not a coincidence; this is a pattern tied to the social construction of masculinity in U.S. society.

Take Back the Night at Chapel Hill was started by a group of women who are fed up with rearranging plans so that we don’t have to walk at night, getting catcalled, walking with keys between our knuckles, fearing sexual violence because we are women. We are ready to make a change, and we know that others who are affected by male-pattern violence are angry, too. Join us this Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Union Plaza of UNC-CH’s campus and we will reclaim the night together. Visit our event page at https://www.facebook.com/events/1509936562632516/ for more information.

Tara May

Senior

Psychology