Shedding clothes, inhibitions and stress in Davis Library

Some with masks and some without, the Davis Library finals streakers are an exam-week staple, running down the floors of Davis Library and then across to the Undergraduate Library.

The streakers often shout encouraging things to those studying and cap off their trek with a performance of “Hark the Sound” in the lobby of the Undergraduate Library.

Judith Panitch, director of library communications, said the streaking usually occurs during the beginning of the reading period for finals and that about 20 to 40 students usually streak.

“I think it’s probably become expected,” Panitch said. "It might have been a surprise at the beginning and now people know it’s likely to happen."

Panitch said because the streaking is expected, the students in the library studying enjoy the brief episode and then typically get right back to work.

Randy Young, spokesperson for the Department of Public Safety, said campus officials don’t know exactly when the streakers are going to appear.

Public safety will typically only respond to a complaint, and by the time an officer arrives on the scene the students have already run the course, Young said.

First-year Ruthie Allen said the streaking doesn't really serve a purpose.

“I mean it’s entertaining — it might not be entirely intellectual — but you’re not hurting anybody, as long as there’s not kids around,” Allen said.

Sophomore Audrey von Amsberg said she thinks it’s a good stress reliever and a UNC tradition.

“I went to both semesters last year and I think it’s hilarious, it’s definitely a good morale booster, but also like the school spirit of singing the alma mater," von Amsberg said. "It’s really uplifting I feel like."

Junior Jazra Standley said if the streakers want to streak, it’s their business.

“I guess they just feel really confident in their bodies and it’s a little weird in my opinion,” Standley said.

Standley said if the streakers really wanted to let off stress they could do it in a more clothed way.

First-year Catalina Berenblum said she thinks the streaking is a UNC tradition.

“They are certainly brave, I wouldn’t necessarily put myself out there 100 percent, you know what I mean? But, I mean you got to do what you got to do if you’re up for that kind of stuff," Berenblum said.

Berenblum said distraction from streakers is better than distraction from an hour of Netflix.

“I don’t really have a problem with (the streakers) — I think it’s kind of funny," Berenblum said. "We learned enough about all that stuff in anatomy anyways."