UNC graduate to act in Adult Swim miniseries

After graduation, Bryan Burton didn't head into a cubicle. Instead, he's surrounded by werewolves.

Bryan Burton, a UNC class of 2012 graduate, is making his national acting debut in the new five-part miniseries “Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter,” which airs on Adult Swim starting Dec. 7. 

The show follows Neon Joe as he helps a small Stepford town in Vermont — a town that also happens to have a werewolf problem.

With a cast and crew of well-known and talented people, including Jon Glaser, Steve Little, Stephanie March, Scott Adsit and Reg E. Cathey, the credibility of the miniseries makes Burton’s debut that much more special.

Although Burton is not typecasted, his normal brand is the underdog — a self-described Michael Cera of sorts. But in his role for Neon Joe, Burton plays the role of Matt Duane, someone who does not follow the typical coming-of-age story.

“(Duane) is a teen that is an Eminem wannabe — like a rap-loving, goofy white kid from the suburbs that dresses in Sean John jeans, Timberlands and bling,” Burton said.

While acting as part of the main crew in this miniseries is Burton’s largest capacity role on a TV show to-date, he has had experience working in other media.

Amy Gossels, who is a casting director and runs Amy Gossels Casting in New York, said she booked Burton for several projects to play a 20- to 25-year-old, including an online campaign for Symphony Commerce, and a role in the short film “Gladys Brown."

“I have booked him for some commercial jobs, some film jobs and industrials," Gossels said. "He is always someone that comes to mind when I have to cast somebody in that age range because he is talented and versatile, and he always delivers a really interesting, engaging performance."

Burton also gained experience while earning his dramatic arts degree at UNC by performing in various shows and attending different classes.

Burton said he took journalism and graphic design classes at UNC.

“I still use the skills today to have control over my own aesthetic," he said.

Burton worked on a number of performances at PlayMakers, such as "Nicholas Nickleby" and "Big River." Burton also worked with LAB! Theater in the production of the "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee."

Burton credits UNC for teaching him techniques, which made him a more well-rounded person and prepared for the real world.

“I believe what is so great at UNC is that we can focus as heavily as we want into performing and studying and getting better at our skill," he said. "Learning about how to operate not just technique, but how to run your career as an entrepreneur in this industry,” Burton said.

As Burton entered the New York scene, he started working with Josselyne Herman-Saccio, who has been his manager for the past two and a half years. Herman-Saccio took Bryan to various agents and brought him to the casting community, where he went on auditions and was booked quickly.

“In the last two and a half years he has been able to accomplish a great deal,” Herman-Saccio said. “Most people don’t accomplish what he has accomplished in two and a half years in a decade in terms of credits and relationships.”

Whether Burton is playing a suburban gangster, starring in an advertisement with Tina Fey or acting in a film with Sir Ben Kingsley, Burton is both friendly and talented.

“Bryan is one of the good guys so you are happy when you see him succeed,” said Herman-Saccio. 

“When I spot somebody and I realize they have that star quality, and they are a good person, it makes me happier to support them and have their dreams come true. So I'm happy to be part of Bryan’s career.”