Opinion: Greeks should look to defer rush for first-years

Within two weeks of stepping on our college’s campus, many first-years have made a decision that will define them for the rest of their UNC experience.

Going Greek can be an empowering decision, but to do so with almost no time spent at UNC is bad for the campus community. We recommend the Panhellenic Council, Greek Alliance Council and Interfraternity Council consider delaying rush for first-years until spring semester.

This policy has been adopted by other schools such as Baylor, Duke and Wake Forest.

Fall rush asks first-years to make a statement immediately. It does not allow students time to fully understand status at UNC or what else there is to offer.

In those first weeks at fraternities and sororities, Greek life can seem like the only social scene on campus. Many students will not even have had time to go to an interest meeting by the time they must decide whether or not to pledge. This puts a pressure on them, just moments after making one of the biggest transitions of their life.

Instituting deferred recruitment would also reduce pressure on Greek organizations. It would limit stresses in the beginning of the academic year and limit exposure to the liability of first-years unused to college social behaviors.

We don’t want to prevent UNC students from joining Greek organizations, nor do we want to ignore the way Greek organizations can help students develop a sense of place and give back to the community. But what we do want is for people to make informed choices.

Think back on your first semester: How many informed decisions did you make?