Quick hits for Jan. 21, 2016

Get out of here

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

School is stressful. We get that it is a part of the experience. What we don’t get is why we were almost kicked out of our dorms last night with a little over an hour’s notice. Nothing says, “We care about you,” like an email basically telling us to GTFO and beg friends to let us stay in their houses or sleep in Cobb Basement. 

The Sar-ald

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

It is the most classic of stories: Two people of similar ideologies finally realizing their affinity for each other. This is what we saw play out during the Sarah Palin endorsement of Donald Trump. The two were meant to be. They both share a love for speeches, being outside mavericks and incoherent arguments. 

Not accustomed

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Margaret Spellings keeps referring to students as customers. Ms. Spellings, we know you are busy turning our school into University of Phoenix, but please consider using the following words instead: peasants, surfs or even proles. At least then it would be explicit that the University does not value us.

Wow, it really is Pat!

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Before we saw Gov. Pat McCrory’s actual video message to the Carolina Panthers, we thought Joanne Spataro’s impersonation was a little over the top. We were dead wrong. Thank you to Spataro for making the parody, but more specifically, thank you for leading us to the real McCrory video.

National failure

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

We like Cam Newton as much as anyone else over here at the DTH opinion page. But after reading the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s story about how former pro football player Antwaan Randle El has trouble getting down stairs and remembering things at the age of 36, we find it really difficult to watch the NFL.

Good censorship?

The news that ESPN is barring its on-air talent from discussing political issues is conflicting. We like freedom of expression and will miss Bomani Jones’ political opinions, but maybe it’s a good thing Curt Schilling, Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless and Chris Broussard won’t be allowed to influence anyone’s vote.