Endorsement: Vote Bradley Opere for SBP

Bradley Opere is the best candidate to facilitate positive changes that will hopefully inspire students to become more involved in campus and state politics.

Over the past few years we have seen the winners of student body president providing analytical and technocratic approaches to the office, and while this has some advantages, it is high time for a change of perspective in the office.

Opere has focused his energy and attention on the issues that we believe are the most critical for the university — activism, communication and inclusion. In his campaign, which has been fueled by inspirational rhetoric and substantive ideas, we see a real potential for him to foster a more engaged presidency.

However, this endorsement comes with reservations; Opere has not clearly demonstrated the skill and commitment to follow through and push for substantive change. We admit that he has not yet provided evidence that he will be effective at thoroughly researching and advocating tirelessly for crucial student causes; his track record in student government has not convinced us that he effectively translated ideas into substantive action in his leadership role on executive branch this year. In an office where fresh ideas and diverse perspectives are desperately needed but where any idea’s action depends on tireless commitment to follow-through, we worry that his progressive ideas might never see implementation.

Nonetheless, his leadership style is dynamic, and he undoubtedly has a deep understanding of the current political needs of the student body. He has demonstrated that he will listen to and include voices from across campus and has openly voiced his commitment to act as an advocate and activist in his capacity as student body president. Among the field of candidates, Opere is the most vocal about the need for change in the very role of the president.

Opere’s bold ideas and his commitment to diversity, activism and communication have won him our endorsement.