Opinion: John Taylor lacks the resume of an SBP

John Taylor lacks the specific knowledge and experience to be student body president.

While it was refreshing to see his desire to not run on an overly technocratic platform, ultimately the person leading the student body needs more basic knowledge of how student government works than Taylor has demonstrated. He has left too many specifics unaccounted for in his plans despite his generally admirable goals.

He proudly affirms his desire to be a potential bridge builder on campus and a person to unite the student body, but we do not think with his leadership background he will be able to achieve them, and we think the groups he speaks of building bridges between are fully capable of speaking, leading and communicating between themselves.

We are also discomfited by his apparent discomfort with the philosophy of feminism despite his eventual affirmation of his belief in gender equality. This isn’t good enough to lead a student body made up of almost 60 percent women.

We understand no one is fully prepared for what is required of them as SBP, but Taylor is lacking in formal leadership experience at UNC.

We believe his intentions are good and that future candidates can learn from his straightforward approach, but on a personal level it seems he lacks a nuanced understanding of campus issues.