Q&A with Hinton James

UNC celebrated Hinton James Day in honor of Hinton James, the university’s first student, on Friday. Michael Ham dressed as James.

On Friday, UNC celebrated Hinton James Day in honor of Hinton James, the first UNC student. James arrived at UNC after walking 170 miles from Wilmington 221 years ago.

Every year, someone dresses up as James in knee-high socks and a lacy ruffled shirt, and he explores campus for a day of activities hosted by the Order of the Bell Tower.

Staff writer Megan Stout talked to this year’s James — junior Michael Ham, General Alumni Association intern — about his journey to UNC and his time spent here.

THE DAILY TAR HEEL: How do your feet feel after walking 170 miles?

HINTON JAMES: They’re so sore! Do you see the heels on these things? (Points to shoes.) Also, it’s the dead of winter, so it’s been quite a journey to get here.

DTH: How did you stay motivated while walking?

HJ: I just thought it would be really cool, you know, going to a University for the first time. The first student at the first public university in the United States — just such an awesome opportunity kept me going.

DTH: How did you spend your time as the only student on campus?

HJ: Lots of studying, and it was also winter during the first semester that I was here, so I spent a few weeks recuperating from the trip, then hit the books hard and helped keep what y’all now call Old East up.

DTH: What is the weirdest thing you’ve seen on campus today?

HJ: There was an escalator. No, no, no, no, no, let’s say one of the hover board things. I saw a kid on a hover board.

DTH: How has UNC changed since 1795?

HJ: It’s much bigger. It’s much more diverse. There are women here.

DTH: Do you think it’s changed for the better?

HJ: Oh, absolutely, for sure. I appreciate all the opportunities that I had as a student here, but I’m sure that they’ve increased just as much as campus has for students who are here now.

DTH: What is your favorite memory at UNC?

HJ: I’d say graduating in 1799.

DTH: How does it feel to have a building named after you? Did you ever think something like that would happen?

HJ: It’s hard to believe we have so many more buildings now than when I arrived. It’s such an honor to have one named for me. They named the dorm with the furthest walk after me.