Opinion: Student elections are key to bringing change to UNC

This editorial board has not held back our criticisms of student government. We understand how frustrating student politics can be.

Yet, even though we believe student government can be improved, that does not give us or any UNC student an excuse to not vote in the elections.

Voting is one of the best mediums to voice grievances, exercise influence and to place the best people in charge.

Sadly, student involvement is slipping. Last year’s SBP election had the lowest turnout in over a decade — only 13 percent of students voted.

One of the many reasons student government is ineffective is due to a lack of support. Sure, student government has a lot of internal faults, but if we are not voting then we are equally contributing to the problem.

So research the candidates, send them emails for more information, let your thoughts be heard and most importantly vote. If you do not like a candidate’s platform or feel they are glossing over an important issue, tell them. The candidates are all busy students, and it’s unreasonable to expect them to do their jobs if we do not do ours.

None of this is to say voter turnout will fix all of student government’s issues. But voting is a good first step to creating the conversations that will bring about positive change.

Is it all that is required? No, but it is a good place to start.

The election is all done online and will only take a few minutes to possibly make a meaningful change.

Student government has a lot of potential to be a loud voice for the student body, but we must first show that we care.