Opinion: Censorship leads to many harmful, scary precedents

Last week, “Trump 2016” was chalked in many places across Emory University’s campus. The backlash was swift. Students called for an immediate investigation. Emory administrators responded quickly, saying they would review security footage in order to find the “perpetrators” to then execute disciplinary protocol.

In consistency with the free speech editorial we wrote in the fall, we write this in the hopes of criticizing this kind of censorship and policing culture often taken by college administration in response to speech that could be construed as hate speech.

We certainly are not condoning the type of rhetoric that Donald Trump espouses or the type of politics that he inspires, but rather are calling for a more long-term strategy for protecting the rights of the marginalized. As many legal experts have noted, the type of precedent this Orwellian approach to censoring and stifling speech — however advantageous in the short term it may be — will come to disproportionately affect students’ ability to voice opinions later. If the chalkings were anti-University administration, students have now inadvertently created a protocol under which that too can be stifled by Emory officials.

People may support Emory officials’ usage of security footage to punish students. But we must be reminded of UNC administrators’ installation of security cameras to monitor the Silent Sam statue to understand the danger in granting our governing powers increased ability to police and monitor our speech.

While Emory officials should be commended for taking an active role advocating for their students, censorship is a loaded tactic. We hope both students and administrators understand the implications.