Letter: Student Government on NCGA’s HB2

Yesterday, the North Carolina General Assembly passed a blanket anti-­discrimination law, that in fact, furthers discrimination in this state for the LGBTQ community. Importantly and intentionally, the law does not include sexual orientation and gender identity under anti­-discrimination protection. As a result, the law overturns and overrides existing local ordinances protecting these groups, while also preventing local governments from passing new laws to protect the LGBTQ community. The new law also specifically prohibits the use of communal bathrooms by the trans community, requiring North Carolinians to use the bathroom that corresponds to the sex on their birth certificate, regardless of their actual gender identity.

The incoming administration condemns the actions of the General Assembly as backwards and discriminatory. North Carolina is better than this. We have a unique capacity in the South and in this country to be leaders, especially because of our university system. Our student population includes the LGBT community, and they deserve equal treatment and protection. Instead, North Carolina has opted to stand on the wrong side of history, ignoring the moral responsibility to protect all our students and citizens.

Our administration stands with LGBT community in solidarity against the discriminatory practices of the state. This afternoon at 5:45, members of the administration will attend a rally in Raleigh at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at 3313 Wade Ave. We invite all interested and available students to join us in standing for LGBT rights.

Ultimately, we believe in a university that respects, values and protects diversity and the members of all communities. And we expect our elected officials to equally value the diversity of backgrounds and identities in our state.

Bradley Opere

Student Body President-Elect

Wilson Sink

Appointee for Director of State and External Affairs