Opinion: Quote tests and final papers impede class engagement

Let’s begin with a test. Below are four quotes. Choose to answer all four. For each, recall the exact editorial these quotes are from. Additionally, include the actual author and write a brief paragraph about the significance of each. Go.

1) “And if so, how do we change this system?

2) Campus Y

3) “...even a less popular one...

4) “A cappella

If you thought such a test would be impossible to accomplish, even for our most devout reader of The Daily Tar Heel (Hi, Mom!), you’d be right.

Student input has consistently pointed out the flaw with quote tests and “one-and-done” paper classes. When we refer to “one-and-done,” we’re not thinking of the University of Kentucky’s basketball team, but rather classes with one heavily weighted paper submitted at the end of a semester. Both of these assessments are popular not only in middle and high school language arts classes, but unfortunately as well within university English departments, including at UNC.

And yet, for years these examinations have persisted to come around like a childhood bully ... who is hired to a senior management position ... at the same company ... that refuses to promote you. We’re just saying it’s less than ideal.

According to Bloom’s Taxonomy, the quote test meets the lowest level of questions (but the highest level of Dante’s Inferno). Bloom designed this classification system with six levels, hierarchically arranged from the least to most complex. It seems counterintuitive that a student newspaper would call for more complexity on their exams; however, let’s consider why this matters.

Complexity welcomes discourse in a way that is productive versus the quote exam which stifles dialogue and prioritizes one particular type of student over critical thinking and full engagement. One-and-done essays can have the same effect when professors refuse to provide useful feedback and deny students the option for resubmission.

As a student newspaper, we are committed to principles of free speech, discussion and critical-thinking, and we encourage our peers and professors to practice these ideals inside their classrooms. Eradicating the quote test or the one-and-done paper is imperative and possible. Eliminating the quote test takes thoughtful preparation on the part of the educator but is pertinent to fostering a more genuine culture of learning.

One example for papers is to include a peer-review process. This can easily provide feedback and promote a dialogue without adding to the workload of teachers and professors.

Centering teachers in the classroom comes across as prescriptive, whereas centering students creates a world of possibility.