UNC men's lacrosse advances to NCAA Tournament final with 18-13 win over Loyola

UNC attacker Brian Cannon (11) embraces his teammate, defenseman Joe Kenna (37), after the North Carolina men's lacrosse team defeated Loyola Maryland 18-13 in the NCAA semifinals at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on Saturday.

The North Carolina men's lacrosse team took down No. 7 Loyola, 18-13, in the NCAA Tournament semifinal at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on Saturday. With the win, the Tar Heels (11-6) advance to the national final for the first time since 1993.  

North Carolina came out of the gates hot offensively, and rarely slowed down throughout the day. 

Leading the attacking charge was sophomore attacker/midfielder Chris Cloutier, who worked a hat trick in both quarters to give him six goals at the half. The mark set a new career-high for the Canadian for goals in a game. 

First-year Timmy Kelly also shined in the first half, consistently beating his man and putting in two goals in the process. 

The Tar Heels ended the first quarter up 9-2, and very quickly extended the lead in the second. In a 15 second stretch at the beginning of the period, North Carolina tallied three goals, two from Cloutier and one from junior attacker Luke Goldstock, to take a 12-2 lead. 

The Greyhounds began to find some success on the offensive end halfway through the second quarter, but UNC was able to answer them each time. At the end of the first half, the Tar Heels held a 14-5 advantage. 

But as the second half opened, Loyola made it a point to not lay down. The Greyhounds opened the third quarter with three-straight goals, cutting the North Carolina lead to 14-8. The Tar Heels were able to answer, however, as two-straight goals by Cloutier pushed the lead back to eight, where it would remain for the remainder of the quarter. 

The Greyhounds started the fourth quarter much like they did the third, going on a 4-0 run to come within four goals with 6:25 left in the game. But, as he did so many times on the day, Cloutier answered. The sophomore notched his ninth and final goal of the day with 5:32 remaining, quelling the run and giving UNC the momentum to close out the game. 

Cloutier had a record-setting day on the offensive end during Saturday's win. Coming into the contest, the attacker's career-high for goals in a game was five. He scored his sixth goal of Saturday's game with 6:50 left in the second quarter. 

In the third quarter, Cloutier picked up his seventh and eighth goals of the day, breaking the record for most goals in a game during the championship weekend. 

And in the fourth period, the sophomore tallied his ninth goal of the game, breaking the UNC record for goals in a game and tying the NCAA record for goals in a Division-I NCAA Tournament game. 

It seemed like Cloutier was always there to answer a Loyola run, and at no bigger moment did he step to the occasion than with 5:32 left in the fourth quarter. 

After Loyola went on a 4-0 run to cut the score to 16-12, Cloutier received the ball on the right side of the cage, beat his defender, pump-faked and finished past the Greyhound goalie. The goal took the wind out of Loyola's sails, and allowed North Carolina to close out the game and advance to the NCAA Tournament final.

Last weekend, North Carolina advanced to the Final Four for the first time since 1993 with a 13-9 win over Notre Dame. On Saturday, the Tar Heels took it another step further and are in position to win their first national title since 1991. 

There was serious doubt as to whether UNC would even make the tournament earlier in the month, but North Carolina has shown that it has saved its best performances for the biggest stage. 

Coach Joe Breschi said in the post-game press conference that there has been no real pressure on the team because no one expected them to make it this far, and the Tar Heels showed how big of a relied that was against Loyola. If North Carolina keeps this rolling into Monday's championship game, it will be a tough side to beat.  

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will play the winner of Maryland-Brown at 1 p.m. on Monday for the national championship. 

@jbo_vernon