North Carolina baseball misses out on NCAA Tournament for second-straight year

The UNC baseball team watches the game from the dugout at Doak Field in Raleigh, during the first of three games against NC State.

For the second year in a row, the North Carolina baseball team will miss out on the NCAA Tournament. 

The NCAA had its selection show for the tournament field Monday afternoon, but as teams were announced, the Tar Heels found their name off the list once again. 

It seemed improbable that UNC would make the tournament, but that statement should sting for the team, knowing how it started the year. 

Over the first 20 games of the season, North Carolina held an 8-2 record and had several quality series wins, including matchups with UCLA and Oklahoma State on its resume. But over the last two months of the season, the Tar Heels couldn't keep the magic alive.

North Carolina still had a shot to make the ACC Tournament during its last series of the regular season, but dropped two of three games against rival N.C. State to miss out on the conference tournament for the first time since 2010. 

After the Tar Heels final game of the regular season, a 10-1 loss to the Wolfpack on May 21, Coach Mike Fox expressed what he thought the fate of his team would be come the postseason.

"I wouldn't think our chances are very good," Fox said. "We don't make the ACC Tournament, I don't think we're going to get in (to the NCAA Tournament)."

On Monday, Fox's premonitions proved true. 

@jbo_vernon