Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Rachelle Feldman will be succeeding Shirley Ort

Rachelle Feldman has been selected to succeed Shirley Ort as associate provost and director of scholarship and student aid.

Feldman is currently the assistant vice chancellor and director of financial aid and scholarships at the University of California at Berkeley. 

Feldman said some of the programs she worked on at UC Berkeley included student food security, aid for middle class students who didn't quality for traditional aid, but still needed assistance and a student advisory board.

Feldman said she is thrilled to be selected for the position and wants to learn about the campus and the University. She said her long term goals included protecting affordability and access for students.

"The first thing I really want to do is come there and listen and really learn in more depth what is going on at UNC right now and what things are really needed, wanted, so take time to learn the campus and learn about what is already happening and what is successful, and then build on things from there."

Terry Rhodes, senior associate dean of fine arts and humanities and chair of the search committee for Ort's replacement, said the committee has been working since February to find a replacement before Ort begins her retirement on July 31. The committee was made up of 18 people from all across campus. 

"(The committee) really had members of our campus community, just all over the community and it was so clear from that — the importance of this office across so many different units, pools and programs — that this office touches so many people," Rhodes said. Rhodes said Feldman stood out because her generosity, curiosity and desire to build on foundations at UNC.

“She is really recognized nationally as a leader in this field," Rhodes said. "She has done some interesting, creative initiatives at UC Berkeley."

Ort, who authored the Carolina Covenant, said she was happy when she found out Feldman will be succeeding her in the position. Ort said she knows Feldman through their professional affiliation. 

“When Stephen Farmer told me, I reached across the table and took both of his hands and said ‘I am thrilled. I can exhale now.’ That was my impromptu reaction," Ort said. 

Ort said Feldman is experienced with the position and its requirements, especially coming from a university of similar size and standing to UNC.

“She comes from a large and leading public university in the country," Ort said. "She knows our issues and the complexity of our work.”

“When you love a place so much, you want it to be left in good hands when you leave and I have every confidence that is exactly what is happening.”