Letter: The importance of Carolina Horizons

This past week, the American Indian Center (AIC) held its annual Carolina Horizons program.

Carolina Horizons is a three day crash course designed to prepare native students for the college application process while giving them a taste of what college is like.

Students receive materials and tips on writing college admission essays, meet admissions counselors from various universities across the state, engage in SAT and ACT preparation workshops and discover how to navigate affording college and completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

This year we had 51 participants, comprising native nations in North Carolina, South Carolina and even Oklahoma. Nationwide statistics report Native Americans produce remarkably low numbers in post-secondary education; the entering Fall 2015 class at UNC only reported to be 2% Native American.

Seeking to improve these numbers and extend opportunity, Dr. Amy Hertel-Locklear and the AIC implemented the vision of Carolina Horizons. While Carolina Horizons is an extension of the AIC, a UNC-sponsored center, its takeaways can be applied to any institution of higher learning.

I served as a Clan Member (Counselor) for Carolina Horizons this summer. As a Native, I understand how necessary this program is.

Education is important for the progression of natives; it’s up to our generation to take a stand and improve these statistics. Carolina Horizons provides the opportunity for me to mentor and resource native youth.

When prospective college students sharing my background see that I’m excelling at UNC, they realize they can do the same.

Aaron Epps

Junior

Political Science