Backup quarterback Caleb Henderson transferring from UNC

The redshirt sophomore's departure leaves Nathan Elliott as the No. 2 quarterback.

Quarterback Caleb Henderson (6) rushes 21 yards during Carolina's last drive. 

North Carolina quarterback Caleb Henderson — who was vying for the top backup spot behind starter Mitch Trubisky — is transferring from the program.

The redshirt sophomore's decision comes after a heated offseason competition with redshirt first-year Nathan Elliott, who will assume the No. 2 position heading into the year. Neither player has prior game experience.

Before the spring game on Apr. 16, Henderson seemed to have edge over Elliott, who redshirted a season ago. But after Henderson threw three interceptions to Elliott's zero — both on 12 passing attempts — the gap narrowed between the two backups.

The former four-star prospect announced Saturday on Twitter that his departure was "a family decision" and had "nothing to do with football."

Henderson becomes the second Tar Heel to leave the program in recent days. On Thursday, Corbin Daly — a fellow 2014 signee who was ranked the No. 2 punter in the country — posted his intent to leave on Instagram. Daly was not listed on the 105-man roster for training camp earlier this month.

@CJacksonCowart