Quick hits for Aug. 25, 2016

Just leave us alone

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Seeing the first-year students happily eating lunch together brings us back to our humble start. We used to enjoy eating with people. Those memories deserve a thumbs-up. But now, please don’t talk to us in the dining hall. We just want to listen to our podcasts and avoid human contact for a moment.

We are back!

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Quick Hits are back! Now, we know many of you would probably give this a thumbs-down, but we don’t care. This is our one place to let loose. Sure, we could try hot yoga or running or some other constructive means of self-care, but that ain’t us. We prefer to complain, and cartoonish thumbs are the way to do it.

Still not OK

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

The Campus Y had its gender-neutral bathroom signs taken down. We hope UNC’s administration will help replace the original signs and continue to push campus-wide efforts toward having a campus safe for all. Frankly, we are tired of having to say that transphobia is not OK. It’s a new school year, so let’s do better.

Fresh Frank

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Frank Ocean finally did it. He released new music, and we are loving it. Sure, the wait was awful. And, of course, who could forget when his younger brother pulled the ultimate rickroll? But none of that matters now. It’s here! It’s real! So please, dear readers, do yourselves a favor and listen to it. You can thank us later.

RIP Bull's Head

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Bull’s Head Bookshop was once a place where obscure Marx theory coexisted beside artsy kids’ books. But now, much to our dismay, it is filled with more popular fiction than not. We are not unreasonable; privatization has its benefits. But please bring back the strange, odd, great books that make Bull’s Head special.

A better time?

It is traditional to make this complaint. We are happy to be back at the university we love, but do classes need to start so early all the time? Can’t we schedule classes to accommodate the nocturnal? We want to go to class, that much is true, but even a 10 a.m. alarm seems too early. So, can we do like 10 p.m. instead?