Julia Scoles shines in UNC volleyball's 3-2 comeback win over N.C. State

On a night when No. 12 North Carolina was dogged by errors, first-year outside hitter Julia Scoles provided the energy needed to pull out the win.

The two-time ACC Freshman of the Week did not look one bit like a first-year on the court in Thursday’s 3-2 win over N.C. State.

“All the older girls are great," Scoles said. "They really help me feel at home on the court, and I just try to come in and contribute what I can to the team."

Scoles had a breakout performance, finishing the night with a near triple-double. The first-year led UNC with 18 kills and totaled 10 digs and a career-high seven blocks.

She was a stable force for the team on a night full of variables, averaging almost four kills a set. Notably, Scoles only committed one attacking error on the night, compared to 19 for the rest of the team.

“She came in really strong," Coach Joe Sagula said. "When we needed her to step up, she did."

The Tar Heels started out hot, taking the first set 25-17, but did not take advantage of the early momentum. In the second and third sets, it looked like a different team in Reynolds Coliseum — as UNC dropped both sets because of a lack of aggression and several unforced errors.

“We became complacent, and they took advantage of it,” Scoles said.

She cannot take all of the blame, however, as she was taken out for eight points during the third set. In her absence, the Wolfpack outscored the Tar Heels 7-1.

Despite her lack of offensive errors on the court, Scoles also fell victim to the mid-match slump that plagued the rest of her team. After the third set, her coach pointed out her mental errors.

But the rookie was quick to address the mistakes and adjust accordingly.

“We talked about changing her angles and approach a bit, and she did a good job with that,” Sagula said.

“She got a few blocks in and she got more confident.”

Sagula has high hopes for the young outside hitter, acknowledging her attacking dominance while also pointing out some areas of improvement.

“I thought offensively she was really good, but defensively she has a lot of work to do,” Sagula said.

But that isn't news to Scoles. She tries to make up for any lapses in skill with an unbeatable effort.

“(My biggest contribution is) effort, because I am not always perfect and my defense wasn’t strong … I always give it 300 percent," she said.

The future is bright for Scoles if she continues to dominate as she has so far in her rookie campaign.

“We are just really fortunate to have Scoles as a Tar Heel,” Sagula said.

“She is learning. She is still a little puppy out there sometimes.”