Voting has long been the cornerstone of every democracy and the foundation for representative government.

Democracy entails collective diversity and thrusts a civic duty upon its citizens to speak for their own interests as well as for society.

Just as well, from a global and historical perspective, voting has never been and will never be a right; it is a privilege.

The power structures in North Korea, Russia, Nigeria and Iran are a testament to the importance of maintaining a balance of power with the people.

Voter turnout has been consistently abysmal in the United States, striking rates as low as 53.6 percent in the 2012 election and worse for mid-terms.

This cannot continue to be an acceptable norm when more than 20 developed nations continue to rank above us in voter participation, many around the 80th percentile. The U.S. declares itself a champion of historical and modern democracy, but our voter turnout statistics show otherwise.

This election has turned many voters off from both main party candidates, and some are considering abstaining from the voting process entirely.

To the voter considering abstention: don’t.

From a democratic perspective, a more representative vote is not a concept many would argue against; the principle is a non-negotiable pillar of our government.

Not voting is an undue exercise of privilege when so many do not have the social capital or class rank to afford not to vote for change in their lives.

At the end of the day, your personal emotions toward candidates do not justify the choice of not participating in the process you claim to care so much about.

When presented with two evils, and when you have opinions on both, you should be morally bound to society and yourself to have an effect on the outcome.

Don’t forget to vote. Don’t ignore the vote. Just do it.