UNC women's tennis players find success against challenging opponents in Furman Fall Classic

The North Carolina women’s tennis team got off to a quick start over the weekend at The Furman Fall Classic in Greenville, South Carolina.

Six of the eight teams that competed in the tournament were ranked in the top 63 in the 2016 final ITA Collegiate Tennis rankings. UNC was at the top of the six ranked teams that competed after finishing in fourth.

One of UNC’s two double teams that competed remained undefeated, while only one of the six singles brackets in the tournament were won by a Tar Heel.

The doubles team of sophomore Chloe Ouellet-Pizer and redshirt senior Rachael James-Baker had close finishes in their first two matches (8-5, 8-7), but finished with ease in an 8-1 victory over Vanderbilt’s Emily Smith and Emma Kurtz.

“Chloe and Rachael played great tennis last week, but weren’t able to get the results that they wanted," Coach Brian Kalbas said. "But this weekend they were able to come together to win.

"It was a great accomplishment.”

Of the six brackets of singles play, only one Tar Heel enjoyed a win in the final.

Junior Cassandra Vazquez struggled at first after losing her first match (6-4. 6-1), but was able to bounce back for a win during the second match (7-5, 6-2). Vazquez completed her comeback by moving on to defeat Tennessee’s Johanna Silva in the consolation final (6-3, 6-3).

“She gained confidence after her second match and was able to focus on her game,” said Kalbas. “I’m really proud of the way that she was able to come back.”

Makenna Jones was the only first-year to compete for the Tar Heels, but she was able to make a powerful statement after putting down two top-35 opponents back-to-back.

Jones, a first-year from Greenville, made her presence known over Tennessee’s No. 35 Sadie Hammond on Friday (4-6, 6-2, 6-2). Jones’ success against ranked singles players continued on Saturday after she cruised against Vanderbilt’s No. 19 Astra Sharma (7-5, 6-4).

Jones moved on to complete in the Flight 1 final on Sunday, but could not close out the weekend, suffering a loss to Mississippi State’s No. 8 Jasmin Lee (6-3, 6-2).

But even with the loss in the final, Jones has a lot to hold her head up about after completing only her second collegiate tournament.

“Makenna had a breakout tournament,” said Kalbas. “Getting into the finals after beating a girl that made it to the NCAAs last year was amazing for her.”

“Overall, it was a great tournament for the team and the four players that competed played really hard.”

@jordymae012