Faculty Council discusses sports and classroom inclusivity

The second Faculty Council of the academic year met to hear about inclusivity and athletics. Professors Kelly Hogan and Viji Sathy walked members of the committee through the Sept. 19 Carolina Conversation and had them discuss and answer questions on how to better include students in the classroom. 

Law professor and faculty athletics representative Lissa Broome presented findings on graduation success rate of athletes and students. 

Who spoke?

Hogan and Sathy modeled what an inclusive classroom looks like to the council.

"When we don’t think about that, we have to think about who might be left behind," Hogan said.

Faculty were asked to finish the sentence, "I wish my students knew that one of the challenges I face supporting diverse students in the classroom is..."

Members wrote on notecards their answer to the question, then talked in small groups. This was done to help faculty members understand the issues students felt were present in the classroom, Hogan said. 

Broome gave a presentation on her job and the responsibilities of the faculty athletics representative. 

Layna Mosley, chairperson of the faulty athletics committee, explained the future of the committee and what they are doing differently than last year. 

"Our hope is we are able to sort of better organize our activities and get things done," she said. 

Mosley said the committee has had a program for the past few years to have faculty team liaisons, where members of the committee will meet regularly with members of varsity athletic teams. 

"Different student athletes from different teams have different concerns," she said. 

When do they meet next?

The council will meet on November 18 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.