Word on the Street: What are Tar Heels wearing for Halloween?

UNC students will flock to Franklin Street dressed to the nines tonight for Halloween. Assistant University Editor Sofia Edelman talked to students about their plans, their costumes and their reasoning behind those costumes.

Darla Demontesquiou, first-year psychology major

We’re going to be the Final Five, like the five gymnasts who competed in Rio at the Olympics this year … Personally my favorite is Laurie Hernandez...but yeah it was perfect because there was five of us too so it was like ‘Oh my gosh, it’s like five people and five people,’ so it worked out really well.

Cecilia Blomberg, senior health policy and management major

I’m going as a glow-in-the-dark skeleton just because I really like doing makeup and I’ve been doing makeup for a long time so it’s going to be, hopefully, really scary … I’ll have the makeup on my hands and stuff and then I’ll probably be wearing some kind of crop top so I’ll have like a spine coming through.

Emily Himmelberg, sophomore education major

I’m dressing as a character from the movie “The Purge” and I thought it was a really cool movie, so that’s why I chose that. I am wearing a shirt with lots of holes in it, doing fake blood and stuff like that.

Savannah Barnwell, sophomore global studies major

I’m going either as a scarecrow or an angel, I don’t know. I have face glitter for an angel, that’s why I’ll just put like clear glitter (on) and if I’m a scarecrow I’ve got an orange crayon to just draw cheeks … because they’re really easy and I’m out of options, but I dressed up (Saturday) night as an alien, so that’s like my main costume I felt like.

Martha McSwain, sophomore journalism major

I’m going as Baby Spice, one of the Spice Girls. I kind of got roped in with a group of my friends and I’m going to wear a light pink dress, white socks and my hair in pigtails.

Feyi Bada, first-year biology major

I’m going as Nicki Minaj from the “Feeling Myself” music video. I’m doing it because I love Beyonce and Nicki and I love their look in the music video and I ordered a body suit, socks and a baseball jacket from Amazon to get my costume.