Hand, foot and mouth disease breaks out in first-year dorms

Hand, foot and mouth disease has spread on campus.

Dr. Thevy Chai, a physician for Campus Health Services, said hand, foot, and mouth disease is a common viral illness that is seen around this time every year. She said like other viral illnesses such as the common cold, hand, foot, and mouth disease does not require antibiotic treatment.

“It’s just a common virus that can present symptoms like congestion, cough, fever, headache and feeling fatigued,” Chai said. “But the interesting thing about this hand, foot, and mouth is that it can cause red spots. Usually these are on the hand, feet or inside or outside the mouth.”

Taylor Bates, president of the Residence Hall Association, said there have been breakouts in certain areas around campus, especially in first-year communities, and in a situation like this, his organization’s main job is just to spread awareness and provide information to students.

“One of the best ways to prevent hand, foot, and mouth disease is just by washing hands, particularly after going to the restroom. So, in our community programs we always try to talk to people about the importance of good health,” he said.

Chai said although hand, foot, and mouth disease usually affects the section of the population that is around preschool age, it can also affect adults.

“We don’t see it as much with college students or with adults because oftentimes they were exposed to it when they were younger,” she said.

“So if they are exposed to it again as an adult, they have those antibodies from their exposure when they were younger and will be able to fight off the illness and may not have any symptoms whatsoever.”

Chai said this illness doesn’t require specific treatment and only lasts about a week.

“For the college-aged population, as long as you don’t have a fever or fluid filled vesicles, you can go interact with other peoples, as long as you’re staying hydrated, doing anything you need to for your cough or other symptoms and of course practicing good hygiene,” she said.

Sophomore Eli Emerick said he hadn’t heard of the disease until his roommate came down with it.

“I haven’t had it personally but, like, two weeks ago my roommate came down with something and he went to Campus Health, and they told him it was hand, foot, and mouth and it would go away in a week or something,” he said.

Sophomore Morgan Alderman said she had heard of the disease before and knew that it was usually seen around this time of year, but was still surprised when she realized her suitemates had it.

“I’ve had a number of suitemates who have had symptoms of hand, foot, and mouth,” she said. “A few of them seemed pretty sick for a week or so. Some had bumps in their mouths and we told them to go get it checked out.”

“We were actually kind of relieved when we found out it was hand, foot, and mouth because we thought it might’ve been something much worse.”