Opinion: We should more actively seek out objective truths

Science is perhaps the most grounded connection we have to the laws that govern our world. Public policies, which quite literally govern our world, should be predicated on these scientific facts. We are now living in what is known as a post-truth society, so it is more important than ever to establish researched concepts as principles not just in our everyday lives, but in our legislative bodies as well.

Religion has been a part of American politics since its inception and has helped guide leaders in their decisions, but it has also justified dangerous hate and ignorance. As with anything, there are benefits and trade-offs. However, religion is here to stay and should be respected as such.

Couple that with partisan, ideologically constrained politics that are often in opposition to scientific truths, and a real problem arises.

Hopefully, religion will continue to shape the American political sphere. The moral code provided by religious doctrines has often pushed this country forward. If they worked together, scientific and religious powers could become a powerhouse for change in our society. Innovation driven by a strong sense of morality and conviction could be what the country needs moving forward.

However, we must demand that well-established scientific facts and philosophical principles carry equal or more weight than they currently do. Let us give the same respect to science and philosophy that people give to religion with regard to public policy.

On its own, the existence of other empirically and logically supported perspectives should carry a certain impenetrable autonomy in the political arena. They should not be subject to the corrosive rhetoric of unfounded subjectivity regardless of whether it is religiously motivated.

In the public sphere, there is no shortage of instances of disrespect to scientific facts and philosophical principles — see climate change, energy consumption, evolution, women’s reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights and vaccinations.

For some, just reading these issues in a list will be enough to take to the comment section in a political diatribe. Of course, this is your right, but we encourage you to seek out impartial information.

This community is privileged to have a wealth of information at our fingertips, so check out a book or attend a lecture. Tar Heels have no excuse to be scientifically or mathematically illiterate.

Yes, as this information is updated, we may be proven wrong and the science we hold as fact today may be proven wrong.

This would be a good thing. New discoveries should excite all people, especially those in a college community. But to use this as a counterargument would be misplaced. Science builds upon itself through a process of rejecting bad theses until enough data can support one closer to the truth.

To deny a result of this process, as those who deny science often do, hinders further solutions from being found. New tried-and-tested discoveries should be welcomed, but current ones shouldn’t be needlessly rejected because they are not politically advantageous to a certain ideology.

Anyone who has taken a middle school science class should be able to grasp that.