UNC to make major changes to its general education requirements

Kevin Guskiewicz, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, created the Dean’s Advisory Committee. Members, including current students, recent graduates and businesspeople, are working to revise the general education requirements for graduation.

“We have a strong group of nine or 10 people that I’ve asked to do two things,” Guskiewicz said.

“For one, they are working hard to look at the content of the current curriculum and figure out what works well and what needs to be changed. And the other thing I’ve asked this group to do is to look at how efficiently the students meet these requirements and ask if they are they capable of acquiring them.”

Guskiewicz said he has heard from students and recent graduates that they would like to see more experiential learning opportunities.

Guskiewicz said students can expect his team to announce what specific changes they will be making to the general education requirements in five or six months.

“The first thing we want to do is to develop a set of goals and kind of principles for the outcome of the new general education curriculum,” said Andrew Perrin, special assistant to the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and chairperson of the General Education Revision Working Group.

“When we say goals and principles, we are really interested in the knowledge and passions and goals of our students. The second thing we want to do is to advise the dean of the college on how to organize the process of actually rewriting the curriculum to meet those goals. The actual process of rewriting those goals will take place next year.”

Guskiewicz and Perrin said feedback from both current student and graduates will be paramount to the success of their efforts.

There will be a town hall meeting on Nov. 18 in the Hitchcock Multipurpose Room of the Sonja Haynes Stone Center from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

“For students in particular, we would love it if ultimately they understood the general education requirements as a central path of their education,” Perrin said.

“The other thing to say is that we have these two upcoming public meetings and would be delighted to have students come out and give us their feedback about how they feel we can make this process better and more relevant for students.”

Students have already started to give their feedback about the general education requirements.

“I think they (the general education requirements) are a good way to explore different interests,” said Mckayla Chandler, a junior majoring in psychology.

“And they helped to decide my comp lit and history minors.”