It is no secret that Americans are watchful and quite vigilant of Islamic extremism, both at home and abroad. What’s more, American researchers and the American government have invested considerable money and time into examining the methods of radicalization used to draw people into extremist lies.

They have parsed myriad reasons that someone might become vulnerable to radicalization, and have been able to extract concrete factors that increase one’s vulnerability to buying into these schemes. A large part of America’s defense budget has been allocated to understanding why young Muslim men, in particular, are so drawn in by internet-based radicalization.

Right now, many Americans are able to differentiate between radical and moderate Islam. Even so, they hold the entire community accountable to reporting signs of radicalization. Yet the potential for radicalization does not map onto a particular religion. Researchers have come to understand that young men, in particular, who suffer from decreased economic opportunity and are raised in various traditions valuing patriarchal hierarchy may well be receptive to any external call that promises meaning to largely meaningless lives.

The sites and results of this scholarship are by no means limited to a Muslim or Middle Eastern cultural context; scholars largely agree that young men are more vulnerable to radicalization when socially isolated, economically disempowered and receptive to violently masculine social norms. In particular, toxic masculinity plays an integral role in this phenomenon in all populations.

We can pinpoint the social conditions that aggravate a young Muslim man’s predisposition to radicalization. Why not turn this same lens on young white men exploring the dark corners of white supremacy? This mystery can be solved. Tools exist that can conceptually identify potentially antisocial young men without condemning the traditions or religions they are raised in.

When news commentators discuss the so-called "alt-right" as some kind of mystical enigma, we should reject this. We should also reject blanket condemnation of any group for individual behavior, whites and Christians included. Instead, let’s apply the lessons that we have learned about the factors of radicalization in other contexts. After all, if most of us believe that white supremacists should not represent the religion they may espouse or the ethnicity they are from, can we not do the same for radicalized Muslim youth?

We should never accommodate the anger or discriminatory impulses of violent young men. But we must realize that we are our brothers’ keepers; as such, our job is twofold. We should work to alleviate the reasons that young men may become susceptible to violent radicalization, white supremacist or otherwise. But we should also hold ourselves to the same standard that we even hold the Muslim-American community: to call out signs of radicalization in those around us.

There has been no shortage of circumstances that, whatever their hegemonic ideology, dispose of young men both ideologically and economically before, and materially after, sinister programs are cranked to life. Too large a swath of history can be largely read as the tragedy that ensues when the lives and bodies of otherwise idle but able young men are yoked to nightmarish seizings of the present, tempted by the siren call of a future where men of a certain kind are restored to past glory.

Regarding radicalization, Americans love to gaze at the speck in the eye of Islam. It is undeniable that a problematic but proportionally small population of young men are mobilized by a politicized and warped vision of religion; they are promised glory as wages for terror.

Yet America may want to pay greater attention to the log in its own eye. The lives of far too many young men in our own country have been written off as inconvenient statistical remainders, unable or unwilling to play by a set of rules largely defined by winners of a rigged game. And that is tragic. Appropriately for the season, the warning of the Ghost of Christmas Present looms large here and now: 

“This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,

and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy,

for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the

writing be erased.”

All of these men are ours. Our brothers, our cousins, our fathers, our uncles, our sons, our friends. Claim them. When they display longing masked by nascent hate and the blaming of others for their plight, condemn the sin, but not the sinner. Watch over them. If you witness a trajectory toward radical and violent ends, make their support network aware of your worry. If it comes to that, make the authorities aware as well. But do not abandon them. The danger factors are known, as are the historical consequences of them being ignored. The writing of Doom can be erased from the brow of even the least of these, but it requires a kind and steady hand to do so.