Opinion: Gift giving can be stressful. Donations are always nice.

The holiday season is here! While there is no shortage of things to look forward to — presents, family, alcoholic eggnog to avoid said family — it is not all great. Gift giving is a social waltz that can make you look stingy, foolish, lavish or like a bad friend.

First, know it is okay to be freaked out about gifts. People always say they don’t matter or that “it’s the thought that counts,” but people don’t mean that. If you get them a bad gift, they will probably complain or joke about it with someone. You don’t want that.

And if you get nothing at all, most people will say it is okay, but we all know they would be lying. So what is there to do? We say donate money in other people’s names.

There is the obvious benefit of helping out an organization you care about. Your donation can lead to active change and improve the lives of others.

Second, if for some reason you decide not to give that person a gift, then you still made a positive impact on the world. Sure, it might still be awkward, but hey, you did something nice.

Here is a list of some organizations you could consider donating to:

The Girls Rock NC camp helps young women and other members of marginalized genders across North Carolina find a passion through promoting creativity. Donations help subsidize costs for campers. Donate at: www.girlsrocknc.org/donate.

No organization is facing the same level of scrutiny as Planned Parenthood. Ignoring false claims, Planned Parenthood provides low-cost medical services to people who need them. Donate at: www.plannedparenthood.org.

We might be biased toward this organization, but the Student Press Law Center keeps many student papers alive when they are threatened. Media is important to a functioning democracy, and this is how we ensure good journalism skills are taught: www.splc.org/page/donate.

Almost two years ago, three Muslim community members were killed because of Islamophobic sentiments. The Our Three Winners carries on their legacy by supporting initiatives they cared about. Donate at: www.launchgood.com/project/our_three_winners_endowment_fund#/.

The Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center finds sick or injured sea turtles on the coast of North Carolina and nurses them back to health. Proceeds go to providing appropriate medical care for the turtles. Donate at: www.seaturtlehospital.org/donate/.

This is just a short list of organizations. Ultimately, you know what your loved ones care about, so donate to the places they care about.