Opinion: Theory is essential to a liberal arts education

Within the social sciences and humanities, theory plays an important role in explaining complex social, political, economic and artistic phenomena without a reliance on quantitative methods. In this way, theory enables more creative engagement with the empirical world by drawing connections that cannot be measured numerically. Critical theory, whether directly in the Frankfurt School tradition or drawing from canon of critical philosophers such as Karl Marx, Simone de Beauvoir or Frantz Fanon, promotes holistic understanding of society by conceptualizing the interlocking structures of capital, patriarchy and/or colonialism as parts of a social totality. Aesthetic theory, on the other hand, offers alternative readings of works of art and literature that illuminate different conceptions of beauty.

Despite the wealth of theoretical approaches and the complex engagement with theory across disciplines, many students avoid exploring theory. While political science, English and anthropology emphasize theory, it is entirely possible to avoid engaging with theory at a meaningful level. Many academic programs that can emphasize theory only require students to take one class in theory. This is beneficial for some students, as the lack of emphasis on theory allows them to avoid engaging with complex texts. While students’ fear of theory may be justified, engaging with theory is essential to building a holistic understanding of society. In reading against the grain and thinking creatively through theory, students gain a new set of tools to analyze their areas of interest. In this way, theory should be considered alongside quantitative methods as an integral part of curricula that produces well-rounded thinkers.

For students expressly interested in theory, departments should offer the option to formally concentrate on theory within departments that have dedicated theory faculty. The political science department, for instance, has several faculty members dedicated explicitly to the teaching and research of political theory. Thus, it would make sense if the political science department could offer a formal degree specialization in political theory, yet it does not. A similar kind of logic could be applied to the economics department, the English department, the anthropology department and several other humanities departments at UNC that do not have formal concentrations within them.

Many students end up informally concentrating on theory, but because they concentrate informally, their efforts go largely unrecognized. In that case, students must directly communicate to graduate programs or future employers the nature of their undergraduate studies, on their own. Through formalizing theory concentrations, the University would both promote innovative theoretical work and formally reward students engaging in theoretical analysis.

UNC should also consider an interdisciplinary minor in theory. Given that theory promotes conversations across disciplines and that the University consistently emphasizes the need for interdisciplinary scholarship, a new theory minor would promote conversations and thought across disciplines. In doing so, the minor would enable interdisciplinary work that not only allows students to think in multiple disciplinary frames, but that also pushes them to think through and across disciplines, using the insights of diverse schools of thought to supplement one another.