SBP elections: Travis Broadhurst focuses on tangible goals, connections

SBP Candidate Travis Broadhurst, a junior geological sciences and physics major.

The junior from Weaverville, North Carolina said his platform is vetted by both students and administrators to understand what their needs are.

“Another big part of our platform is the fact that it is a fluid document, so nothing that we say is rigid,” he said. “If students want to change something, they have complete power to do that. If they want to suggest something, they have complete power to do that.”

Ben Albert, one of Broadhurst’s campaign managers, said previous candidates have come into the race with goals that were too big to put into action.

“Travis has very realistic, very concrete and very tangible goals that I think can bring meaningful changes to campus and have a very tangible, positive effect on students,” Albert said.

Broadhurst’s experiences — his time with the Residence Hall Association, the Student Safety and Wellness Committee, the Buildings and Grounds Committee and other campus organizations — have given him connections and knowledge that he thinks will make him a good president if elected.

“These experiences and background knowledge can really help us not just promise to do something in a platform, but actually have the finer details to enact that out and know exactly what steps we have to take,” he said.

Broadhurst said one of the first things he plans to do if elected is to give graduate and professional students a seat on the Board of Trustees.

“They need that same level of representation,” he said.

Neil Harwani, another campaign manager and president of the Carolina Union Activities Board, said he met Broadhurst when they both worked for RHA.

“We went through every single thing in that line in our platform,” Harwani said. “We can do those things. Between our knowledge across campus, we know we can do those things.”