19-year-old arrested in connection to Red Roof Inn homicide

On Tuesday, Alexis Shenell Joyner, 19, from Durham, was arrested by the United States Marshals Service and charged with first-degree murder, according to a press release from Wednesday.

The victim, Edward Young III, 21, was shot at the Red Roof Inn at 5623 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd. on Sunday morning at 1:22 a.m.

Young was transported to Duke University Hospital in Durham where he died as a result of his injuries.

According to a Chapel Hill police report, Young was shot with a handgun and there was alcohol or drug use involved in the homicide.

The Chapel Hill Police Department obtained a warrant for Joyner’s arrest in connection with the case.

The U.S. Marshals Service of both the Middle District and Western District of North Carolina then received information that Joyner was located at the 4000 block of Colebrook Road in Charlotte, according to the press release.

After observing Joyner getting into the backseat of a car at the location, the Marshals Service attempted to conduct a vehicle stop.

The driver of the vehicle then led authorities in a car chase for three miles.

The pursuit came to an end after the vehicle crashed into a tree on the 2000 block of Dunlavin Way.

Then, Joyner attempted to flee the automobile on foot, according to police.

Joyner was caught and arrested after a short foot chase.

She was then transported to the Chapel Hill Police Department for processing.

Joyner is now being held in the Orange County Jail with no bond, according to a press release.

Anyone with information is asked to call 911 or contact Crime Stoppers anonymously at 919-942-7515.

@erin_kolstad