Opinion: Thank you to those who make campus look amazing

Ah, springtime … wait, it’s still winter? But it’s been over 60 degrees for the past month. Well, whatever the season is, our campus looks great. 

While it is easy to admire the end result — flowers around the Old Well, neat lawns and pruned trees — it is easy to forget the campus we admire is only possible because a lot of people put a lot of work into it.

The reality is: If it weren’t for our fabulous groundskeeping staff, UNC would look like any normal forest or wooded area in North Carolina — not the spectacular campus we love and praise.

What might be most impressive is how the groundskeeping staff has maintained natural spaces and green areas despite ever-increasing populations of students and the proliferation of campus construction. While we have literally no say in this, we think our groundskeepers deserve a raise. All this is done with sustainability in mind. 

The unusual weather we are experiencing shows the need for more environmentally friendly practices, and we hope to see our groundskeeping staff further their sustainability efforts.

We also encourage all Tar Heels to take some time out of their busy schedules and just take a walk around campus. Enjoy the sights and sounds of this pre-spring weather.

Maybe more importantly, though, take the time to thank those who make our beautiful campus possible. We can all agree they do a great job, so let’s take the time to let them know it.