Opinion: UNC should consider adding more seats in the quads

UNC’s beautiful campus is transitioning from the barren winter into a spring full of life. As the trees begin to bloom, students begin to step outside the dark halls of Davis Library and onto sunny Polk Place.

While sitting down on the grass to study or socialize is certainly a fun experience, it does have its negatives. If it recently rained, the grass may be too wet for sitting. Dew in the early morning also makes it difficult to sit on the grass. Also, we shouldn’t forget that you can become pretty buggy if you sit for too long.

Even worse, according to a 2014 survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 19.1 million adults had been diagnosed with hay fever in the previous 12 months.

Clearly, sitting on the grass is not something all UNC students can or want to do. We suggest that UNC add more chairs and tables in the quads for seating. Tables would make for more stable working conditions, and chairs would get students off the grass.

While our quad is not perfectly flat, there are certainly spaces for tables. People may worry that tables will be aesthetically unpleasing to the point where the lost scenery isn’t worth the utility of tables. First, we are calling for moveable seating like the tables outside the Union. Second, other famous quads like Harvard Yard have tables on them and are still photogenic.

With the help of some more seating, we can make the quads an even better place to meet on campus.