ACC announces return to North Carolina after partial HB2 repeal

North Carolina forward Isaiah Hicks (4) worked on a Miami defender in the quarterfinals of the 2017 ACC Tournament in Brooklyn. 

The ACC announced its return to neutral sites in North Carolina Wednesday — one day after the NCAA awarded the state championship bids

The announcement comes after ACC leaders decided on March 31 to return ACC events to the state, following the partial repeal of HB2

ACC Commissioner John Swofford said he is pleased ACC events will return to North Carolina. 

"We value all of our partners in North Carolina and appreciate their support and cooperation," Swofford said in a statement. "We are thrilled to renew our relationships with so many terrific people, outstanding cities and first-class venues." 

The Dr. Pepper ACC Football Championship Game in December will be the first ACC event to return to the state. It will be played at the Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte. 

The ACC Men's Basketball Tournament schedule, which includes Brooklyn in 2018, Charlotte in 2019 and Greensboro in 2020, will remain in place. 

Men's and women's tennis and women's soccer will return to Cary for tournament play. And the ACC Baseball Championship will extend an agreement to return to the Durham Bulls Athletic Park in 2018 and 2019, the announcement said.

Some multi-year venue contracts will be extended an extra year as compensation for the events moved in 2016-17, the announcement said.