Home runs from Pickett, Lynch complete softball sweep over Eagles

A six-run fifth inning ensured North Carolina’s (35-11, 13-5 ACC) 8-3 victory and series sweep over the Boston College Eagles (24-17, 8-6) on Saturday in Chapel Hill.

Senior Tar Heel pitcher Kendra Lynch got off to a rocky start as the Eagles scratched across two runs on four hits in the top of the first inning.

Lynch struggled to settle down, allowing eight hits over three innings. However, after the first inning she managed to get herself out of jams and did not give up another run, stranding six runners on base.

The Tar Heels also struggled with stranding their own runners through the first three innings. After notching one run in the third, the Tar Heels left the bases loaded on a check swing ground out by first year Hailey Jensen.

In the fourth inning, first year Brittany Pickett came in to pitch a scoreless frame. And in the bottom of the inning, she squared up on a ball and left it in the upper branches of a tree in left center field to tie the game.

Lynch came to the plate in the fifth inning with a chance to erase the two runs she had given up in the first. With first year Brittany West on first base, Lynch launched her 17th home run of the season to give UNC its first lead. The Tar Heels pushed across four more runs in the inning to open up the game, and rode the lead to an 8-3 win and series sweep.

Lynch and Pickett controlled the game from both sides. The two pitchers combined to only give up three runs, despite allowing 11 hits.

The two also were the only Tar Heels with multi-hit games. They both contributed home runs en route to the blow out win.

Pickett moves to 20-2 on the season, continuing the dream season for the first-year.

Lynch’s two run home run was the spark for a huge inning for UNC. The Tar Heels took advantage of four walks and an error as they used only four hits to rack up the six runs. Smart base running and small ball allowed the Tar Heels to capitalize on the inaccurate throwing from the two BC pitchers in the inning.

That was the story of the game for the Tar Heels, who built a five run lead despite being out-hit 11-7 by Boston College.

With both teams heading into the series ranking in the top three in the conference, the three game sweep propelled the Tar Heels into second place in the conference after their last ACC regular season home series.

Lynch’s big game came on Senior Day for the team, making it particularly poignant. In addition, senior Erin Sugg had the opportunity to play the final two innings for the team.

Where do they play next?

UNC hosts Winthrop on Wednesday, April 19 in a non-conference matchup.

@James_Tatter