Opinion: Our boys returned victorious, but they're still students

The North Carolina men's basketball team celebrates after defeating Gonzaga 71-65 in the NCAA men's basketball Championship Monday night in Phoenix.

This board decided that now, while you’re still experiencing the high from rushing Franklin Street, is the time to not only thank our men’s basketball team, but to look more closely at the standards to which they are held.

This week, stores on Franklin and our own Student Stores will be accommodating a higher number of people as local fans and fans from surrounding areas come to Chapel Hill to bask in the glory of a national title and collect their championship gear. These festivities can be credited to the players who left their hearts on the court to bring a trophy home.

Their dedication to the team is undeniable. Joel Berry played through two sprained ankles, and Kennedy Meeks expressed his desire to do absolutely anything it took to bring that NCAA trophy back to Chapel Hill. Our basketball team is in the spotlight, and now, more than ever, they are representative of UNC.

As championship shirts sell and revenue increases on Franklin Street, there is a straight monetary reward for the players’ actions that they will never see any part of despite the extremely high standards they must uphold.

Although we acknowledge they do receive scholarships, there are also rules and regulations that dictate our players’ high standards during the season and even during the off-season.

If they accidentally post a picture on social media depicting a situation that could be taken negatively against UNC, they are accused of being horrible role models to younger fans when they are simply engaging in activities like typical college students.

They spend hours on the court during games, hours in tutoring sessions, hours in practices, but if they are seen with a red solo cup, they can experience immediate detrimental effects.

NCAA victories have lasting impacts on schools. They are known to increase the number of applicants and visitors to smaller schools.

The players’ hard work has been manifested in a trophy, and the administration didn’t just see a victory — they saw numbers. Numbers regarding money and numbers regarding applicants.

These players aren’t just college students — they are athletes whose faces grace posters and whose accomplishments sell T-shirts, and UNC’s standards for them reflect this.

For role models in our community, the high standards are somewhat understandable. But for players who are also supposed to be living the best four years of their lives, we need to cut our boys a break and let them have a little fun.