Trump order to defund sanctuary cities temporarily blocked by federal court

Protesters gather outside terminal two at RDU Airport on Jan. 29 in response to President Donald Trump's executive order banning immigrants from certain countries from entering the U.S.

Meanwhile, a bill passed Wednesday in the N.C. Senate would limit funding to sanctuary cities.

William H. Orrick, a district judge for the northern district of California, ruled in favor of the city of San Francisco against the sanctuary city policies.

San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera said Americans have a duty to fight injustice, even when it comes from Washington.

“This is why San Francisco had to stand up on behalf of people everywhere, be they immigrants or native born,” he said in a statement.

Trump rebuked the ruling.

“First the Ninth Circuit rules against the ban (and) now it hits again on sanctuary cities-both ridiculous rulings. See you in the Supreme Court,” he said in a tweet.

William Saenz, spokesperson for El Pueblo, Inc., said sanctuary cities create greater trust between law enforcement and undocumented immigrants.

“We see a more positive relationship with local authorities, residents are more comfortable with reporting crimes in their areas because they’re not afraid they’re going to be separated from their family in the process,” Saenz said.

Robert Law, director of governmental affairs at the Federation for American Immigration Reform, said he wasn’t surprised that a federal judge from San Francisco, a sanctuary city, would defend other cities that are openly disobeying the law.

FAIR is characterized by the Southern Poverty Law Center as anti-immigration.

“It’s just another example of an activist judge, another Obama appointee, that is disregarding their role in our system of government and legislating from the bench as opposed to doing their job and interpreting the law,” Law said.

The Office of the U.S. Press Secretary criticized the ruling, saying it ignored federal immigration law.

“Today, the rule of law suffered another blow, as an unelected judge unilaterally rewrote immigration policy for our nation,” the statement said.

Using some of the same language, U.S. Rep. David Price, D-N.C., tweeted that he supported Orrick’s ruling.

“Pres. Trump is trying to unilaterally rewrite immigration law on sanctuary cities,” Price tweeted.

“Thankfully, reasonable judges are standing in his way.”

Law said the state’s sanctuary jurisdictions and those nationwide should not choose which federal laws to follow.

"(Sanctuary cities) now are put on notice that this administration will find a way to come after them that you cannot collect federal dollars and violate federal law at the same time,” he said.

William Freeman, senior staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California, said in a statement that Trump is using unconstitutional powers.

“Under our system of government, the President cannot coerce cities, counties and states to become agents of federal immigration enforcement by threatening the loss of funds appropriated by Congress,” he said.